India, a country with different cultures, deep history and geography, and varied climatic conditions, has always amazed me with its diverse beauty. This country has a lot to offer, from snow-capped mountains, deserts, ancient forts, and temples to stunning beaches and tropical forests. While travelling across various states, cities and towns, I realized that there had been an enormous growth in the trend for backpackers hostel in India.
From some famous hostel franchises to the small independent hostel, I have had the privilege to experience some amazing and unique properties. So, I have compiled a list of some budget-friendly hostels where you can stay while travelling in India!
List of backpackers Hostel in India
Before I begin with the recommendations, here are a few amazing hostel chains in India you shouldn't miss.
- Backpackers Panda
- The Hosteller
- Youth Hostel Association India or YHAI (I believe this is where backpackers hostels in India started.)
These hostels are pretty affordable, and I can vouch for these hostels for a fantastic stay experience. Apart from this, here is a few unique and affordable backpackers hostel in India.
Best Backpackers Hostel in North India
Backpackers Hostel in Delhi
Delhi, the capital of India, has a lot to offer. From exploring ancient Mughal monuments to hogging on some mouthwatering street food, Delhi will leave you amazed. Here are a few recommendations for affordable accommodation options in Delhi:
- Zostel, Delhi - Tariff: INR 499 per night/bed
- Jugaad Hostels, R K Puram - Tariff: INR 499 per night/bed
- GoStops, Darya Ganj - Tariff: INR 499 per night/bed
- Moustache, South Delhi - Tariff: INR 400 per night/bed
- Poshtel by LetsBunk, Haus Khas - Tariff: INR 700 per night/bed (A little on a higher side)
Backpackers Hostel in Rajasthan
Like others, I was also under the impression that Rajasthan is just about deserts. However, I was wrong! When I visited Jaipur, I was astonished to see the greenery all around the city. As I had already embarked on my journey, I looked for some hostels near me. So, here are a few hostels in Rajasthan that you can opt for:
- Blue Beds Hostel, Jaipur - Tariff: INR 365 per night/bed
- The Hosteller, Jaipur - Tariff: INR 264 per night/bed
- Bunkstop, Jaipur - Tariff: INR 500 per night/bed
- Hostel Karwaan - Tariff: INR 430 per night/bed
- Musafir Hostel, Udaipur - Tariff: INR 410 per night/bed
- Hostel Namaste India, Pushkar - Tariff: INR 350 per night/bed
- Hostelavie - Pushkar - Tariff: INR 199 per night/bed
- Resting Love Hostel, Jaisalmer - Tariff: 300 per night/bed
Backpackers Hostel in Agra
Agra is the city of one of seven wonders, the Taj Mahal. Agra was always on my bucket list! I was surprised to see so many hostels in Agra, and I suggest you opt for a hostel if you are staying in Agra!
- Friends Guest House & Hostel - Tariff: INR 199 per night/bed
- Joey's Hostel - Tariff: INR 199 per night/bed
- Zigzag Hostel - Tariff: INR 299 per night/bed
Backpackers Hostel in Rishikesh
Rishikesh is the land of Yogis and nature, nestled on the banks of the mighty Ganges that flows from the Himalayas. People mainly come to Rishikesh for some adventure activity like rafting or bungee jumping or to attain peace in life through practising yoga and meditation. Rishikesh has a few unique hostels which not only provide accommodation but also offer meditation and yoga sessions. Let's take a look:
- Bunk Stay - Tariff: INR 200 per night/bed
- Shalom Backpackers - Tariff: INR 399 per night/bed
- Blue Jay Hostel - Tariff: INR 369 per night/bed
Backpackers Hostel in Varanasi
Benares, Banaras, Kashi or Varanasi, you can call this city with any name you want! Located on the banks of the Ganges, Varanasi is similar to Rishikesh. It's a pilgrimage site for Hindus, and people come here to perform holy rituals. Although this is a sacred site, the tourism here has become quite famous for the beautiful ghats, the enchanting evening Ganga Aarti and many other things. So, staying here would, of course, make your trip complete.
- Backpackers Park - Tariff: INR 349 per night/bed
- International Travellers' Hostel - Tariff: INR 539 per night/bed
- Wander Station Varanasi - Tariff: INR 382 per night/bed
(P. S. Don't forget to check out the small lanes (gallis) of this beautiful city and hog on some delicious street food!)
Backpackers Hostel in Himachal
I have no doubt when people from Himachal Pradesh call their state as Land of Gods. The mighty Himalayas, and rivers like the Beas river and what not! I was mesmerized by the beauty of the Himalayas when I first visited Himachal. There are so many places to visit in Himachal that one cannot decide what to see and what not to. You can find many hostels in Himachal. However, I have listed a few exceptional ones that you can opt for.
- All the Zostel hostel chain - All the Zostel properties are located at splendid locations, and the tariff generally starts at INR 399 per night/day
- The Hosteller, Bir and Kasol - Tariff: INR 359 per night/day
- The Culture Nation, Old Manali - Tariff: INR 399 per night/day
- Madpackers Hostel, Old Manali - Tariff: INR 499 per night/day
- Alt Life, Dharamkot (Mcleodganj) - Tariff: INR 500 per night/day
Best Backpackers Hostel in South India
Unlike northern India, South India is quite different in culture, weather, language, and geography. It is hotter as the Indian Ocean surrounds it. There are several places in the southern part of India which many people miss exploring. But first, let me start with the most visited places.
Backpackers Hostel in Goa
Goa is the party capital of India, and youth from across the country visit Goa to spend some relaxing time with their friends. Like everyone else, we also hired bikes and explored this paradise. Here's a list of affordable hostels in Goa.
- Happy Panda, Arambol - Tariff: INR 500 per night/day
- The Crazy Hostel, Anjuna - Tariff: INR 409 per night/day
- JUNGLE by Sturmfrei, Vagator - Tariff: INR 500 per night/day
- Aerostel, Calangute - Tariff: INR 550 per night/day
Backpackers Hostel in Karnataka
Backpackers Hostel in Gokarna
If you are looking for an alternative for Goa, Gokarna is the best option. It is less crowded, and the beaches here are comparatively clearer and cleaner. You can also check out the Shiva Statue - Murdeshwar sitting perfectly on the Murdeshwar beach. When it comes to choosing a hostel, here are a few options:
- Zostel Gokarna - Tariff: INR 599 per night/day
- Trippr - Tariff: INR 265 per night/day
- Hostel HosteLIT Gokarna - Backpacker Hostels - Tariff: INR 300 per night/day
Backpackers Hostel in Hampi
Hampi is a town with a fascinating history and a lot of ancient ruins. There are several monuments in Hampi which are UNESCO world heritage sites. Here are a few accommodation options you can choose while travelling to Hampi?
- Jungle Tree - Tariff: INR 699 per night/day
- Waterfall Guesthouse - Tariff: INR 450 per night/day
Backpackers Hostel in Coorg (Kodagu)
Coorg or Kodagu is a serene hill station located in Karnataka. This place is covered with a misty atmosphere the entire year, and the best time to visit Coorg is between October and May. Here are some hostel recommendations:
- Zostel - Tariff: INR 549 per night/bed
- Manyana - Tariff: INR 350 per night/bed
- Backpackers United Hostel - Tariff: INR 599 per night/bed
Do check out: How To Travel Safe During Coronavirus?
Backpackers Hostel in Kerala
Backpackers Hostel in Cochin
Cochin or Kochi is famous for its backwaters and greenery. Recently, there have been a lot of ecotourism initiatives which is interesting!
Happy Campers, Kochi - Tariff: INR 500 per night/day
goStops Kochi - Tariff: INR 299 per night/day
Kochill - Tariff: INR 500 per night/day
Backpackers Hostel in Varkala
Varkala, situated on the edge of the Arabian Sea, is famous for the palm-covered red cliffs. In addition, I feel Papanasam Beach is another site you can check out! When it comes to affordable options to stay, you can check these out:
- Piggy Hostel Varkala - Tariff: INR 349 per night/day
- The Lost Hostel, Varkala - Helipad - Tariff: INR 270 per night/day
- Cliff and Carol, Varkala - Tariff: INR 399 per night/day
Backpackers Hostel in Allepey
Alleppey is also known as Alappuzha and is famous for its backwaters and a network of tranquil canals and lagoons. You can cruise across the canals in the houseboat and have a great experience.
- Seashore Homely Stay and Restaurant - Tariff: INR 200 per night/day
- Trippr Alleppey - Backpacker Hostel - Tariff: INR 500 per night/day
- Funky Art Beach House - Tariff: INR 250 per night/day
Backpackers Hostel in Munnar
A former resort for the British Raj elite, Munnar is a beautiful hill station. You will be amazed by the view of rolling hills dotted with tea plantations established in the late 19th century. There are many other tourists attractions in Munnar that you can check out.
When visiting, you can check out these affordable hostels in Munnar:
- The Lost Hostel Munnar - Tariff: INR 400 per night/day
- goSTOPS Munnar - Tariff: INR 299 per night/day
- Share Hostel - Tariff: INR 350 per night/day
Also, you can check out Ten Ways to Cut Your Expenses and Save Money for Travel.
Backpackers Hostel in Tamil Nadu
Backpackers Hostel in Ooty
I can not describe in words how beautiful Ooty is! I think it's true that Ooty is the 'Queen of Hills'. With beautiful blue hills and massive tea estates, Ooty is a paradise to all nature lovers. Here is my recommendation for affordable accommodations in Ooty.
- Zostel - Tariff: INR 799 per night/day
- Prabhu’s Place - Tariff: INR 750 per night/day
Backpackers Hostel in Kodaikanal
Kodaikanal, which means 'The Gift of the Forest' in Tamil, is a very famous hill station. Kodaikanal is the top honeymoon destination in India for many couples. However, this doesn't mean you can't go on a solo trip or a group trip. So, here's the list of affordable hostels in Kodaikanal:
- Zostel Kodaikanal - Tariff: INR 599 per night/day
- Boho Kodai - Tariff: INR 539 per night/day
- Trippr Backpacker Hostel, Kodaikanal - Tariff: INR 530 per night/day
Backpackers Hostel in Pondicherry
Pondicherry or Puducherry is famous for two things: pristine clean beaches and the mix of Tamil and French culture. When you visit this place, it will instantly take you to mid-1900s French colonies as it did to me! You can explore the well architectured French style streets and try out some mouthwatering dishes at the French cafes here.
For accommodation, here are a few budget-friendly hostels in Pondicherry you can stay at:
- Valentine Hostel - Tariff: INR 400 per night/day
- Gurukulam Hostel - Tariff: INR 900 per night/day
- Micasa Hostels - Tariff: INR 629 per night/day
- Natura Ashram, Pondicherry - Tariff: INR 200 per night/day
You can check out my travel journey here: Pondicherry, a Little France in India
Other Backpackers Hostel in the Southern Part of India
Affordable Backpackers Hostel in Mumbai
- Cohostel - Tariff: INR 599 per night/day
- Backpacker Panda, Andheri, Mumbai - Tariff: INR 399 per night/day
- Namastey Mumbai Backpackers - Tariff: INR 799 per night/day
Affordable Backpackers Hostel in Bangalore
- Rehab - Bangalore - Tariff: INR 800 per night/day
- Hibernest Indiranagar - Tariff: INR 630 per night/day
- Local.Uptown - Tariff: INR 499 per night/day
I hope this blog will help you while planning a trip across India on a tiny budget!
If you are planning a trip to India, you can check out 34 Exciting Things to Do in India This Year.